Taping the Achilles tendon with kinesiology tape is a good backup for Achilles tendon treatment. The tape can be applied by an experienced physiotherapist or you can do it yourself. Instructions can be found on the Internet or in the corresponding reference books.
- Aim of the treatment – what are the benefits of taping the Achilles tendon?
- The benefits of taping the Achilles tendon for 24 hours
- Alternatives to Achilles tendon kinesiology tape
1. Aim of the treatment – what are the benefits of taping the Achilles tendon?
- Improved blood flow (microcirculation) in the Achilles tendon
Correctly placed Achilles tendon kinesiology tape gives the skin a slight lift; this is due to the tape being applied under tension. The lifting of the skin relaxes the smaller blood vessels below it, improving circulation. This leads to more effective healing.
- a) Lymphatic drainage is improved in the tissue around the Achilles tendon
Lymphatic drainage is also improved by the lifting of the skin as the lymphatic vessels are directly under the skin and are able to open more.
- b) Achilles tendon pain is reduced
By stimulating the receptors (nerve ends) in the skin, the pain pathway is overridden. Less pain signals reach the brain.
- The body’s own healing processes are given a boost
- The tissue tonus is regulated (relaxation)
Relaxed tissue improves metabolism
- c) Sensory support from ligaments and tendons – better perception and control of foot movements
Incorrect foot positions or unhealthy foot movements are often the cause of Achilles tendon complaints. Improved foot perception, incl. the calf muscles, enables the brain to control and coordinate everything better and so makes movements healthier, which is also good for the Achilles tendon.
2. 24-hour treatment with kinesiology tape
24-hour treatment of the Achilles tendon influences the injured Achilles tendon all day long and whilst you are sleeping, resulting in increased lymphatic drainage.
3. Alternatives to Achilles tendon kinesiology tape
The FALKE Achilles sock has similar effects:
- improved circulation thanks to massage from the integrated silicone pyramids
- possible pain reduction due to the silicone pyramids
- stimulation of the circulatory and lymphatic system due to the integrated compression
- sensory support from ligaments and tendons: better perception and control of foot movements due to the tight fit and integrated compression